MOVING TIPS TO MAKE YOUR MOVE EASIER
- Use boxes that are in good condition and secure them tightly with
strapping tape on the bottom and the top.
- Don’t load more than 50 pounds into any one container and try to
distribute the weight evenly.
- Cushion contents with newspaper or some other packing material to
prevent items from breaking. Towels and sheets are great for wrapping
fragile items. Cloth napkins and paper plates are good separators for
- Label each box with its contents, which room it will go in and whether it is
- Pack heavier items such as books into smaller boxes in order to keep
their weight down.
- Have your rugs and comforters cleaned before you move. Leave them in
the cleaners plastic for protection.
- Seal liquids to prevent leakage and pack them into sturdy plastic
containers. Seal medicines and smaller liquid items in ziploc type bags to
prevent messes if they leak.
- If you are moving across town, think about keeping clothes on their
hangers and simply move them in your car. Also, moving company
wardrobe boxes allow you to hang your clothes and keep them from
- Keep all important documents and valuable with you. Don’t pack anything
that you cannot easily replace.
- If you have to stay somewhere temporarily and have to store your
furniture or other large items, consider using a mobile mini storage unit.
That way you only have to load and unload your things one time.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS CHECKLIST
Here is a list of some of the people and companies you should contact informing
them of your move. Letting everyone know your new address and phone number
in advance will make your move much easier.
□ Magazine Subscriptions
□ Post Office
□ Motor Vehicle Department
□ Voter Registration
□ Rental Homes
□ Stock Broker
□ Baby Sitter
□ Dry Cleaner
□ Auto Loan Company
□ Credit Cards
□ Other Loans
□ Clubs & Organizations